Greek Chicken Chopped Salad: This Greek chicken chopped salad with a fantastic Greek vinaigrette dressing is loaded with colorful vegetables, and Greek chicken. It highlights the unique flavors of the Mediterranean. This beautifully simple but flavor packed recipe does not disappoint it its ease and deliciousness.
Greek Salad is a classic staple in Greek food. Onions, cucumbers, and tomatoes are staples. This chopped salad is super tasty twist on the classic Greek Salad, with all the regular players, but the addition of diced chicken, and a zingy Greek vinaigrette dressing that will make your tongue feel like it is on a Grecian vacation.
I am obsessed with all things Greek. Which if you were to take a look at my recipe index would probably be obvious, since there are Greek marinades, Greek seasoning blends, and lots of variations of Greek chicken. But this variation of all things Greek might just be my favorite: the fresh crisp veggies tossed together with chicken in this chopped salad is killer. It is a fantastic side, or an even better light lunch! Just be careful if you take it to work, as you might make your co-workers mouthes water.
This salad is Greek inspired, not traditional. But when you mix the exotic flavors of Greek seasonings, all your classic veggies and add some chicken to the bowl, which has been marinated and cooked in a Greek chicken marinade, bada-bing, bada-boom you’ve got a chicken salad entree that will impress everybody.
How do you make a real Greek salad?
As someone who loves to travel, I can appreciate authentic food when I see it. And trust me, I love it. So if you want it be authentic here’s what you need to know to make a real greek salad:
- First in a real greek salad there’s no lettuce or leafy greens.
- Also feta is served as a large piece not cubes.
- The veggies are chopped into pretty big pieces, particularly the cucumber and tomatoes.
- It’s served in a shallow bowl with bread and not pita.
- And the Greek salad dressing is simply a drizzle of olive oil, and or lemon juice, or red wine vinegar.
What is in a traditional Greek salad?
The islands of Greece are the perfect fertile grounds for fresh herbs, tons of fresh veggies, and bright and vibrant flavors. A traditional Greek Salad embodies these amazing flavors with the onions, the tomatoes, the cucumbers, etc.
What are the ingredients for a Greek salad?
Traditionally here are the ingredients of an authentic Greek Salad:
- Cucumbers chopped into larger pieces
- Tomatoes cut into wedges
- Red onions, thinly slices
- Green peppers
- Kalamata olives
- Feta cheese
- Olive Oil
- A splash of red wine vinegar
- And salt and pepper
So, to be clear, this chopped salad is not authentic.
However, if you want something not traditional or authentic, but super tasty none-the-less, then you have to try this Greek Chicken Chopped Salad. While I love the “real” Greek kind of salad, and serve it all summer long, this recipe is a twist on this classic, and one that is a little easier to eat, since everything is chopped and mixed together!
It uses the same ideas and flavors, but adds some greens, and some crunch with crispy pita strips, as well as some creaminess with avocado! Then there are all the fresh herbs. Think of it as an Americanized version perfect for serving at a pot luck! It is hearty, and hefty, and crunchy, and tasty! You will love sharing it, or eating it all by yourself, because sharing, while caring, is hard when something tastes this good!
And with all the nutritious ingredients, like quinoa and avocado, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and chick peas, you don’t even have to feel guilty about not sharing!
What is the herb on a Greek salad?
Fresh herbs are a staple in Greek cooking, and what would be a Greek meal with out some great seasonings? Fresh herb just add to the flavor, and enhance the overall dish. The types of herbs typical found in a traditional greek salad recipes are: dill, oregano, parsley, basil, tarragon, mint or cilantro.
For this recipe, I use fresh dill and mint in the salad, and make a dressing that utilizes oregano, dill, basil, thyme, rosemary, etc. So you are going to get an herb loaded masterpiece with this salad.
So when you are looking for something that is fresh, filling, and packed with flavor, this Greek Chicken Chopped Salad should be at the top of your list. Or leave out the chicken and serve it as a side to:
- Greek Chicken Skewers with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken Thighs
- Greek Marinated Steak with Corn Feta Relish
Greek Chicken Chopped Salad
- 4-6 cups Mediterranean Crunch Salad Mix - radicchio escarole and endive with julienned broccoli
- 1/2 cup Quinoa cooked
- 1/2 cup Cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup Grape Tomatoes halved
- 1/2 an Avocado diced
- 1/4 cup Red Onion diced fine
- 1/2 cup Roasted Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Greek Chicken diced
- 1/3 cup Quinoa cooked (optional)
- 2 Tbs crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup Pita chips or strips
- 1 Tbs fresh dill weed chopped fine
- 1 Tbs fresh mint chopped fine
- 1/2 cup Greek Marinade Dressing
- Mix everything in a large salad bowl except the pita chips and feta
- Top with dressing and toss
- Add feta and pita chips just before servings
Pin to your Salads board on Pinterest: