Quick and easy Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad, this healthy chicken salad only calls for 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make. Paleo, dairy free, and Whole30 compliant.
Check out the video to see how easy it comes together!
One thing I did not like growing up was chicken salad. To be honest, we never really had it so I guess that is why I didn’t like it, but I’ve never been a huge fan of mayo heavy dishes. Enter this cilantro lime chicken salad that uses coconut yogurt instead of mayo, along with a few other ingredients, and I’m hooked.
It wasn’t until the past couple years that I rediscovered chicken salad and I can say my mind had been changed. They are full of protein, have some healthy fats, and you can customize them however you want. It’s a quick and easy protein that’s perfect for meal prep, on top of salad, or just in a straight up sandwich.
This paleo chicken salad was created on a whim one day for lunch. We usually always have some shredded chicken prepped and I usually add it to a big salad with whatever veggies we have on hand for a throw together meal.
I wanted to spice up the chicken and had some fresh limes and cilantro so I figured why not. I mean you can’t really go wrong with the cilantro lime flavor, unless you are one of those people that thinks cilantro tastes like soap haha. To bind it all together I used my favorite local non-dairy yogurt, Culina. It was so simple, but so good, I figured I had to share it.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad
5 ingredients and 5 minutes is all it takes to whip up the cilantro lime chicken salad. It’s quick and easy, light and refreshing, packed with protein, and super easy to make. Here is what you need:
- shredded chicken
- coconut yogurt – I love Culina
- lime juice
- red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
It’s as easy and adding all your ingredients into a large bowl and mixing it up. The yogurt adds a nice creaminess and I love using it as a substitute instead of mayo. If you are wondering about the coconut flavor, it is pretty mild and not too strong or overpowering. It goes great with the cilantro and lime flavors too.
I find the longer chicken salad sits, the better it gets. The flavors have a chance to come together and you get the tang from the yogurt and lime, a little sweetness from the coconut, and some spice from the red pepper flakes.
Make a big batch for meal prep and serve it however you like during the week! I love it on a bed of greens with some veggies, in collard wraps, on top of a rice cake for a snack, in tacos, and just plain with some carbs and veggies.
Substitutions Coconut Yogurt
I know not everyone has access to coconut yogurt. I just discovered it a few years ago and I credit that to living in a very health conscious city. While I love the flavor it adds to this chicken salad – a little sweet with some tang – there are a few things you can use instead:
- plain/greek yogurt – it will no longer be paleo, but will still be delicious
- any kind of dairy free yogurt – use check your labels if you want to keep it paleo
Fun fact – I used to work for Culina (the coconut yogurt used in this recipe)! A few years ago when I was working 5-6 jobs hustling to make money while trying growing my business, I helped them sell their yogurt at the farmer’s market. Back then it was called Kokonut and everyone always asked how you can have dairy free yogurt lol.
It was really fun helping them spread the word and now look at them – they are in Sprouts and Whole Foods! The owners are the company are awesome people and the product speaks for itself. Highly recommend if you can get your hands on it!
Additions for Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad
While I like this recipe as is, there are lots of things you can add to it change it up. Here are a few suggestions:
- avocado – I love adding avocado to the cilantro and lime flavor combo. Chop some up and mix it up with the yogurt.
- green onions – A great addition to add a little bite
- spices – add some garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, or similar Mexican spices to take this healthy chicken up a notch
- nuts/seeds – sunflower seeds or chopped almonds would be a great addition to add some crunch, along with some healthy fats
- veggies – I love adding veggies where ever I can. Adding some chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, or jalapeños would be great for this.
More Paleo Chicken Salad
Chicken Cabbage Salad
Harvest Chicken & Sweet Potato Salad
Paleo Buffalo Ranch Chicken Salad (Whole30)
Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad (Paleo/Whole30)
Make sure to check out the video at the top of the page to see how easy this recipe comes together!
Paleo Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad
- 3.5 cups shredded chicken (400 grams)
- 5 ounces coconut yogurt (1/2 heaping cup)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well to combine
- Serve in lettuce wraps, on salads, in tacos, or as a snack with veggies. Enjoy!
This recipe was previously posted and was updated this year!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!