Southwestern chicken salad with creamy cilantro dressing is 1000x more delicious, fresher, and healthier than any restaurant salad at a fraction of the price. Spring is just a few weeks away and I couldn’t be more excited. I’m thinking of barbeques, cold drinks, frozen yogurt, and lots of salads. One of my favorite foods to eat during spring is salads because they are light and filling. Plus, they make you feel amazing inside and out.
This southwestern chicken salad is no different. It’s healthy, light and fresh topped with warm spicy chicken and a creamy cilantro dressing. This creamy delicious dressing is beyond this world. It’s made with 3 simple ingredients (sour-cream, cilantro, and lime) yet it packs an explosion of flavor and is the perfect accompaniment to this yummy salad.
How do you guys like my husband’s hand modeling? This is his first time helping me photograph food and I think he did a pretty darn good job. Now only if he was around more often so I can take photos of food from this angle! After I finished photographing the dish he sat down and finished the entire salad. I guess it was worth the wait!
Southwestern Chicken Salad with Creamy Cilantro DressingPrint Rate
- For the chicken:
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime reserve other half for dressing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- For the Salad:
- 2 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 ripe avocado sliced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/2 cup black beans rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn rinsed
- 1/4 cup cilantro for topping
- Creamy Cilantro Dressing:
- 1/2 cup sour-cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro with stems
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium ziplock bag, place the chicken breasts, taco seasoning, cumin, salt, lime juice and olive oil. Shake until fully combine and chicken is coated. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes or up to 2 days in advance.
- To cook chicken: heat a heavy skillet to medium/high heat (Be sure the skillet is very hot before adding chicken). Add 1 teaspoon oil of choice to skillet. Place the chicken on a skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Allow chicken to rest in pan for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
- To make the dressing: Place the sour cream (or greek yogurt), cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a blender or food processor. Pulse for a few seconds or just until the cilantro is fully chopped.
- To Assemble: Place the chopped romaine lettuce on the bottom of a salad plate. Top with avocado, chopped tomatoes, black beans, corn, cilantro, and sliced chicken. Top with cold creamy cilantro dressing just before serving. Enjoy!