This black bean and corn salad makes a perfect side dish to any summer meal. Serve alongside tacos, over grilled fish or on it’s own as a vegetarian dish.
This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans.
You’ve heard the saying you eat with your eyes right? I totally believe in that saying, for me the more colorful a dish is the more appealing it looks to me. This Summer Black Bean and Corn Salad is one of those dishes that I like to think is colorful enough to eat … and eat … and eat plenty of, whether it’s a side dish for dinner at your house or a salad you bring to a neighbor’s barbecue.
Black Bean and Corn Salad – easy summer side dish
This is one of those side dish / salad recipes that comes together easily with a bunch of ingredients you may already have in your fridge and pantry. The corn makes it a little extra special because it’s super sweet and fresh summer corn cut right off the cob, but if all you have is frozen corn at the time then go for it anyway – just run it under some water to quickly defrost and dry completely before quickly sauteing it.
The avocado is a fun add in because it adds just a bit of creaminess to the salad when combined, along with a little extra protein along with the black beans. And the cheese…crumbled cojita cheese (or even feta if you can’t get your hands on cojita) takes it over the top.
You’ll love this black bean and corn salad on fish tacos or even on it’s own (or in taco salads like how I’ve been eating it for a couple of days).
It’s seriously so good.
Try this Summer Black Bean and Corn Salad with Grilled Green Fish Tacos or alongside Cheese and Onion Enchiladas with Verde Sauce.Print
- 4 cups corn kernels (I cut mine off 5 cobs of corn)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 can Bush’s Reduced Sodium Black Beans (use regular black beans if reduced sodium unavailable), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 cup crumbled cojita cheese (use feta if cojita is unavailable)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- small bunch cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Add kernels to the pan, season with salt and pepper and quickly saute, just for about 1-2 minutes. Place corn into a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Once corn is completely cooled, add your Bush’s Black Beans, red onion, jalapeno and avocado. Add juice of two limes to salad and gently toss to combine. Add cheese, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper and gently toss again.
(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans. I have been creating and sharing recipes using Bush’s Beans for years, but as always my opinions are my own.)
Follow Aggie’s Kitchen’s board Healthy Recipes on Pinterest.