Don’t let the name fool you, this Summer Corn Salad definitely can (and should be!) enjoyed all year round! It’s a fresh corn salad made with onion, bell pepper, avocado, and…..corn! Fresh or frozen corn will work!
My favorite part of a good summer BBQ is the fresh fruit and amazing side dishes to serve with whatever we’re grilling. Some of my favorites include Italian Pasta Salad, Homemade Cornbread, and Grilled Pineapple!
Summer Corn Salad
Corn on the cob is one of those foods that just has me feeling all the summer vibes. I love when I start seeing fresh corn available at the grocery store; it gives me permission to believe that summer is finally here! So, in celebration, I decided a fresh summer salad recipe was the perfect thing to share.
Ingredients in corn salad:
- Corn: you can use fresh corn on the cob, or frozen corn that has been thawed. If using frozen corn, pat it dry after it has thawed and sauté it with a little bit of oil in a hot skillet, until golden.
- Olive oil
- Purple onion
- Red bell pepper
How do you make Corn Salad?
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Cook corn. Add 1-2 inches of water to a large skillet and bring it to a boil. Add the corn cobs and cook them for 3-4 minutes, rotating to cook on all sides.
- Grill corn. Brush the partially cooked corn cobs lightly with olive oil and grill them on high heat for a few minutes, rotating it as they cook, until golden on all sides.
- Toss salad ingredients. Cut the corn off of the cob and add it to a bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients and drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Toss to combine.
Can I use frozen corn?
Yes! If fresh corn on the cob is not available, frozen corn is a great substitute. Thaw the corn in your fridge overnight, or warm in the microwave just until thawed. Add the corn and a little bit of oil to a very hot skillet and cook it for a few minutes, tossing occasionally, until many kernels are lightly browned.
More ways to adapt this Corn Salad:
I wanted to keep this salad simple, and really let the corn be the ingredient to shine, but you can definitely add more vegetables and adapt it to your liking. Some ideas include adding black beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, edamame, fresh basil, or grilled zucchini.
Need Main Dish ideas to serve with your Corn Salad? Try these!
- Grilled Flank Steak
- Grilled Tuscan Pork Skewers
- Turkey Burgers
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Summer Corn Salad
Don't let the name fool you, this Summer Corn Salad definitely can (and should be!) enjoyed all year round! It's a fresh corn salad made with onion, bell pepper, avocado, and.....corn! Fresh or frozen corn will work!
- 6-8 ears corn
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion , diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 avocado , seeded, peeled and chopped
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper
Whisk dressing ingredients together and set aside.
Add 1-2 inches of water to a large skillet. Bring to a boil. Add shucked corn ears and cook for 3-4 minutes, rotating to cook on all sides. Drain water.
Heat grill on medium-high heat. Brush corn lightly with olive oil and grill for a few minutes, rotating it as it cooks, until golden on all sides.
Allow the corn to cool and then cut corn off of the cob and add to a bowl. Add remaining salad ingredients and drizzle with desired amount of dressing (you may not use it all). Toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.